Orange Tequila Turkey
- 1 10 lb turkey
- 5 dried Anaheim chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 4 cups turkey stock
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 seedless oranges
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Remove the neck and gibblets from the cavity
- Bring the chiles and 2 cups of turkey broth in a pan to a boil. Turn off the heat and let stand for the chiles to soften.
- In a blender, put the chiles with the turkey broth you boiled them in. Add honey, the juice of one orange, the lime juice and tequila to the mix. Season with salt to taste. Reserve.
- Put the turkey on the rack of a roasting pan. Tie its legs together.
- Use the mix and rub it over the turkey, make sure to get it under the breast skin and in the turkey´s cavity.
- Cut 4 oranges in quarters and put them in the turkey’s cavity
- Slice the butter into little pieces and put them under the breast skin. Season thoroughly with salt and pepper.
- Put 1 cup of turkey broth and 1 cup of orange juice at the bottom of the roasting pan
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Put the turkey in the lower rack of the oven breast-side up and cover it with aluminum foil
- Baste the turkey every half an hour with the drippings, the orange juice and the turkey broth. If the mix dries up, add more. Calculate needing about 10-15 minutes per lb.
- Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. You will know that your turkey is done when the thermometer reads 180 degrees F.
- Plate and let it sit for about half an hour before serving. Garnish with sliced oranges.